Thursday, October 27, 2011

Parker Pontiac Clip Restoration

Another fun job! I've had a lot of these lately...

This one was on one of my own pens, that will soon be available on my monthly tray of restored vintage pens.

It's a nice Parker Vacumatic Major, in golden pearl. Nice would be a bit of a stretch though... This pen came to me in the worst of conditions... Completely stuck/frozen blind cap, massive gouges on the blind cap, dirty as can be, etc.

But it was an interesting piece, and I wanted it just because. :)

Anyway, turns out this pen (and pencil) set were some kind of gift to the owner of the car company, Pontiac. They had a special little piece that is riveted onto the clip, with a logo and a name on it. The name being Pontiac, the logo, as it appears to me, of an indian-head.


So anyway, that indian-head was originally filled with a red paint, or enamel. Problem was it was chipped out, really badly, and the clip itself was dirty. Really dirt!

What to do?



Well, I thought I'd give it a little makeover, Tyler Dahl style. I don't keep red enamel on hand, and I didn't plan on buying bottle just for this pen.

So out comes my bottle of Parker blue-diamond paint! After some filling and polishing, here's the difference:

On the left: My restored "pontiac clip". Ont he right, the pencil, which is what the pen clip used to look like. 

Now I just need to finish the pencil, and then this set will be ready to go up for sale!
You can read the word PONTIAC if you look at the base of the "plate", right before it goes into the clip. And you can see the Parker arrow peaking out from under this Pontiac cover.

All in all, this was a very fun, and unique job. The Pencil (you might be able to see it in the photos) seems to have more detail to the indian-head logo. It should provide a more difficult challenge, trying to fill it in properly. :)

I hope you enjoyed this little post. Let me know in the comments below what you think of it. I'd love to ehar from you!

Be sure to subscribe, because next week I've got a big surprise coming! Well, it's not really a surprise, but it's going to be big. I'm writing a huge post, on nibs! From how a nib works, to different tipping shapes, and common problems, this illustration filled article out to be a lot of reading-fun. Subscribe, and be the first to read it!

Regards,
Tyler Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment